Using auwrapper, where can we reset internal buffers?

Allows to develop VST 3 Audio Plug-ins and VST 3 host.
howardantares

Using auwrapper, where can we reset internal buffers?

Postby howardantares » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 am

Back in the old VST2 days, we had the suspend/resume functions where we could reset our internal buffers. This was needed in cases such as jumping backward of forward from the middle of audible audio to a new location in the timeline, in order to not continue processing the audio from the previous location. I'm not sure what would replace that functionality, but possibly setProcessing(true/false)?

The problem I am having is with the auwrapper, though. It does not appear to call setProcessing except at initialization and cleanup times, not in cases such as jumping to a new location in the timeline. (Or simply starting or stopping the transport.)

How cab our auwrapper-based plug-ins reset their internal buffers in a case like this? What function do we have to implement (using the SingleComponentEffect, if it matters).

Thanks,
Howard

ray

Re: Using auwrapper, where can we reset internal buffers?

Postby ray » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Hi Howard,

that's where IComponent::setActive(bool) comes into play. It's called from AUWrapper::Initialize() / ::Cleanup().

I had the same problem in the AAXWrapper and had to add suspend(); resume() call to the VSTWrapper in AAXWrapper::ResetFieldData()...I hope they add a proper fix soon.

Arne Scheffler

Postby Arne Scheffler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am

There's no suspend/resume (when talking in VST2 terms) when starting or stopping the transport (not in VST2, VST3 or AU), at least not in any host I have seen in my life.
What you need to look at is the ProcessContext structure in the ProcessData structure you get in your process call. It has a state member you have to observe for transport changes. Or if you want to know if you have a cycle jump, you have to observe the projectTimeSamples member.

Cheers
Arne

howardantares

Postby howardantares » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks, Arne. I'm not sure if resetting buffers during Render is a good place for that kind of work, but if it's the only place we can do it, then ok. Is that what most delay effects do in the case of a transport jump or loop? Or do they just keep outputting the data that was there in the delay buffers?

howardantares

Postby howardantares » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Seems to work fine, resetting our buffers if the new position is not equal to the previous position plus the previous frame size. (We give it a little slack on either side of that number, though, just in case.)
Thanks!

ray

Postby ray » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Arne Scheffler wrote:There's no suspend/resume (when talking in VST2 terms) when starting or stopping the transport (not in VST2, VST3 or AU), at least not in any host I have seen in my life.
What you need to look at is the ProcessContext structure in the ProcessData structure you get in your process call. It has a state member you have to observe for transport changes. Or if you want to know if you have a cycle jump, you have to observe the projectTimeSamples member.

Cheers
Arne

That raises the question how to handle IAudioProcessor::setActive() as a plug-in programmer though? The ADelay example implies that this is the place to reset buffers. However, setActive() is never called through the VST2Wrappers suspend()/resume() in the AAXWrapper and thus ADelay wouldn't work properly when wrapped to AAX.

Arne Scheffler

Postby Arne Scheffler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm

ray wrote:However, setActive() is never called through the VST2Wrappers suspend()/resume() in the AAXWrapper and thus ADelay wouldn't work properly when wrapped to AAX.

If this is the case, then it is a bug in the AAXWrapper.

Cheers
Arne

ray

Postby ray » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Arne Scheffler wrote:
ray wrote:However, setActive() is never called through the VST2Wrappers suspend()/resume() in the AAXWrapper and thus ADelay wouldn't work properly when wrapped to AAX.

If this is the case, then it is a bug in the AAXWrapper.

Cheers
Arne

Hi Arne,

yes, I have already reported this and several others in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=364 ...still waiting for feedback from Yvan, however.

Return to “VST 3 SDK”