%200 new to code - what language should I learn to make optimum VSTs

SDK for VST 3 audio plug-in and host development.
ResonantMind

%200 new to code - what language should I learn to make optimum VSTs

Post by ResonantMind »

What language should I learn to make optimum VSTs and what specifically? Do I have to learn everything about this language in order to make VSTs? Or are there certain factions of this code that are only required and the rest I can skip?

thanks

ygrabit

Re: %200 new to code - what language should I learn to make optimum VSTs

Post by ygrabit »

VST3 SDK is based on C++,
You have to learn a minimum about Object Oriented programming, read some books...
Check the plugins examples included in the SDK.
YVan Grabit

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Language C++.
From my view, you will need understand a [ pointers ], [ class ], [ inheritance ], [ virtual functions and inheritance ] (it is called polymorphism) and last [ templates ] (not a must but helpfull) . Just basics from everything I wrote, but more you know, it will be easier to work with VST SDK. I think it is possible to do something without know too much, but it will need good tutorials and good documentation about VST SDK and working with it (unfortunately I don't know about any).

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind »

Wanderer wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 pm
Language C++.
From my view, you will need understand a [ pointers ], [ class ], [ inheritance ], [ virtual functions and inheritance ] (it is called polymorphism) and last [ templates ] (not a must but helpfull) . Just basics from everything I wrote, but more you know, it will be easier to work with VST SDK. I think it is possible to do something without know too much, but it will need good tutorials and good documentation about VST SDK and working with it (unfortunately I don't know about any).
ygrabit wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 pm
VST3 SDK is based on C++,
You have to learn a minimum about Object Oriented programming, read some books...
Check the plugins examples included in the SDK.
Thank you both fore the replies.

Do you know of any resources, online courses, paid tutorials that are - actually - worthy of investing in where I won't be saying after "uhhhh, I could have just DIY'd this knowledge faster without spending $"

thanks