Issue with VST3 Generator app

I have been trying to use the new app included with the zip file for 3.7.0 to generate a project on macOS.

I have been unable to do so. After I select (Welcome tab) the location of the SDK and the location of CMake, I can’t do anything else. It won’t let me switch to either of the 2 other tabs (Create Plug-in Project or Preferences).

Even if I quit the app and restart it, it is in the same state (and it doesn’t let me change sdk or cmake since the Welcome tab is now empty). I selected the /Applications/CMake.app for cmake and I am wondering if this is what causes the problem…

How do I reset the app so that I can select the 2 values on the Welcome tab?

Thanks
Yan

hum…very strange

on Windows the preferences are saved on in registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\com.steinberg.vst3sdk.projectgenerator

on mac:

/Users/YourUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.steinberg.vst3sdk.projectgenerator.plist

I met the similar issue.

At first, I set up “cmake-gui.exe” path as “CMake Executable directory” by mistake.

I fixed the registry “CMake Path” on

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\com.steinberg.vst3sdk.projectgenerator

NG “cmake-gui.exe”
OK “cmake.exe”

Then, I can generate project files now. :wink:

yes i could reproduce it, thanks, will be fixed in next update.

Known Issue:
If by mistake you enter a wrong path for cmake, the UI of the app will be like frozen, quit the app and clean the preferences for this app:

on Windows the preferences are saved on in registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\com.steinberg.vst3sdk.projectgenerator

on mac:

/Users/YourUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.steinberg.vst3sdk.projectgenerator.plist

on a mac if we can’t select /applications/cmake.app what do we use instead?

Just bumping this back up again, as I’m having the same issue with the app. I’ve tried deleting the plist as well as altering it to direct to the cmake app, but no real success.

I’m on a 2021 Macbook Pro M1 with Monterey - is this a new OS issue, or an M1 issue? I’m new-ish to coding and just started working with the SDK toolkit.

When inside the system file selector, navigate to the CMake.app and then you can press Command-Shift-G and in that window popping up you can go into the CMake.app package. Inside the app package in CMake.app/Contents/bin is the real cmake executable.

Hi Arne! Thank you, that worked! I was using the executable file that was in the MacOS folder vs the bin.

Maggie

Hola! Estaba teniendo este problema y el problema que tuve yo fue poner el path de cmake en cmake-gui.exe, en lugar decmake.exe. Espero que haya podido aportar! :slight_smile:

Translated:
Hello! I was having this issue, and the problem I had was putting the path of CMake in cmake-gui.exe instead of cmake.exe. I hope this could contribute!

1 Like