helloWorldWithVSTGUI cannot be opened

After downloading, unpacking vstsdk3613_08_04_2019_build_81, running VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\CMakeLists.txt in Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.0.3 without changing anything, I get the error

fatal error LNK1104: Datei “VST3\Debug\helloworldWithVSTGUI.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\helloworldWithVSTGUI.vst3” cannot be opened

What am I doing wrong? Any pointers appreciated.

Hi,
it may help if you post the complete Visual Studio build output and how did you generate the Visual Studio solution file ? You have to use cmake directly, not the included cmake support of Visual Studio.

Cheers,
Arne

Hello,

many thanks for answering.

I tried now cmake from the “Developer Command Prompt” from a “build” directory:

D:.…\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\build>cmake -G"Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" …
– SMTG_MYPLUGINS_SRC_PATH is set to : D:/…/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/…/my_plugins
– SMTG_PACKAGE_ICON_PATH is set to : D:/…/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/doc/artwork/VST_Logo_Steinberg.ico
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:26 (project):
Generator
Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64
could not find any instance of Visual Studio.
– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “D:/…/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
D:\Users\Uli\Documents\Uli\Projects\Steinberg\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\build>

No Luck.

Then I tried:
D:.…\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\build>cmake …
D:.…\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\build>nmake

This builds everything, but it seems to create 32 bit .vst (or at least no valid 64 bit .vst), which are recognized by Cubase 10 at startup, but shown as “blacklisted” (which is expected).

No luck.

Any hints?

You have to use the cmake generator for your version of Visual Studio:

cmake -G"Visual Studio 17 2019 Win64"

There was a cmake 3.13 installed on the machine which does not support any VS 2019 generator. I replaced it with the latest - 3.14.3. This supports a VS 16 2019 (not 17). So, finally, with the command (the way to declare the architecture has also changed to using the -A option)

cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -Ax64 ..

the build files were created succesfully, afterwards the vstsdk.sln could be build and the generated .vsts seem to work in Cubase 10.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Uli